If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session. Keep reading to learn the top 5 tips for making a photo session with kids easier!
Top 5 Tips for Making a Photo Session with Kids Easier
1. Don’t make a huge deal out of it. If you’re stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter’s hair stay straight instead of curling it because she won’t sit still. Focus on the big picture and don’t sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm.
3. Be prepared. If you’re going to be out for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. If you are having your own photos taken too then you might want to bring a babysitter or family member along to watch the kids. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too. Real life moment: even when you have everything planned perfectly, kids will still be kids. Kids cry at nearly every session. Do not let it stress you out! I capture every moment, and the crying photos are still just as cute! These are precious memories in the making and you will look back at these photos and love all the fleeting moments.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with your photographer and your photos will look fantastic. My favorite photos are when families are just being themselves and having fun with their kids. You don’t need to be posed perfectly and everyone looking at the camera. Just relax and have fun!
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your photographer and will also give your photographer a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.
Maryland Family Photographer
Hi there and thank you for stopping by! My name is Lauren and I am the owner of Taylor’d Southern Events. I am a wedding and portrait photographer specializing in couples and families in Maryland. I hope you found my family photos feature I shared to be helpful. If you are interested in talking with me more about booking a session, let’s connect! Not quite ready but you know you will be interested in a session in the future? No problem! Follow me Instagram and lets be friends!